Epsom Salts & Essential Oils: relax, reduce toxins, heal
We think Epsom salts and Essential Oils are where it’s at, y’all.
Grandma was right, it turns out.
It isn’t just folklore. Have you SEEN what these magical crystals and tonic oils, known as Epsom Salts and Essential Oils, can do for sore muscles, headaches, dirty grout, splinters, sleeplessness…even constipation? It is some pretty phenomenal stuff. We are especially fond of adding your favorite essential oils for an aromatic boost to our soak.
The Epsom Salt Council gives the benefit lowdown on the salts:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use & absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
Read more here.
The most frustrating part of Epsom salts for us is the cost. (Seriously? $20 for a small plastic tub of it that only lasts a handful of soaks?) This is why we are sharing this link with you for a mega-discount in bulk. Natalie just ordered her next batch, which she stores in a lovely burlap sack on the edge of the bath. No reason for a soak without them, is her philosophy. It would a waste of bath water, plain and simple.
Boost your Bath with Epsom Salts and Essential Oils
And if you are going for a soak, why not give yourself an extra boost with the healing power of Essential Oils? Alesha is a big fan of DoTerra Oils which are certified therapeutic grade with no chemicals or additives. When using oils, it’s (ahem) essential to go for the quality. Our skin being the largest organ in our body, we literally soak up the oils through our pores, along with breathing it into our olfactory system. Our bathtubs become a giant diffuser, giving us a dual combo of both a topical and an aromatic application.
Here’s our favorite recipe for a DIY Bath Soak with Epsom Salts and Essential Oils:
- 1 cup Epsom Salts
- 1/4 cup Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Baking Soda
- Lavender: 5 drops
- Frankincense: 5 drops
- Geranium : 5 drops
- Combine all together into a jar for storage
This should work for 2-4 baths depending on the size of your tub. Feel free to double or multiply the quantities to make a bigger batch to have on hand, or give as lovely gifts to your friends or family!
The combination of the Lavender (relaxing), Frankincense (reducing inflammation), and Geranium (rejuvenating the skin) will leave you feeling totally relaxed and restored. Essential Oils can bring on a neurological mood shift, and coupled with the power of Epsom Salts, you are working toward feeling vibrantly refreshed after a good soak.
Get salty, y’all. You will thank us for it.
—Natalie & Alesha